You can use Facebook Messenger to send messages to your users, or engage with them in two way conversations, this guide will show you how to set this up and get started.
Please ensure you have reviewed and comply with Facebook Messengers policies which can be found here.
In order for you to contact your customers via Facebook Messenger you will need to gain permission from them. This can be achieved in a variety of ways as detailed below, and we can work with any of them:
Facebook provides web plugins you can easily add to your web site at appropriate points to invite customers to allow you to interact via Facebook Messenger with them. The plugins are:
- Message Us - takes the person directly to Messenger and allows them to initiate a conversation with you
- Send to Messenger - allows to initiate a conversation with them in Messenger by providing a Facebook Messenger id for the customer
Find out more about how to use the Facebook web plugins with us here
Facebook has currently suspended the use of this feature
Facebook is reviewing the ability to use phone numbers to send Facebook Messenger messages, and therefore this option is currently unavailable.
Allows you to reach people in Facebook Messenger if you have their phone number and their consent to be contacted by you. If you wish to use this option ensure you tick the Use Phone Numbers check box when configuring the Facebook channel in the portal and ensure your Facebook page has applied for the permission to use Customer Matching.
Significantly increase your phone number match rate
If you can provide the customers first and last names then we will automatically pass these on to Facebook with the phone number. This greatly increases the chance of Facebook matching the phone number correctly as the name and phone number matching gives them much more confidence that you are communicating with your intended customer.
You can place a scannable Messenger code on your app, web site or documentation to allow customers to scan it to initiate a conversation with you.
If you are creating Facebook Instant Games then you can message your players using our services to encourage re-engagement as detailed here. With Facebook Instant Games you can receive a callback when a player completes a gaming session, and part of the data about the player is a Facebook Messenger Id that can be used to contact the gamer. Simply use this value in the fbMessengerId field in the to block with the the One API to send message to them, or alternatively import them as profiles and use our Broadcast tool.
First steps are to create a Facebook page for your company / product you want to communicate from, if you already have a Facebook page then you can skip to the next section.
To setup a Facebook page please follow the guidance given here.
Ensure your Facebook page is published
If you leave your Facebook page in an unpublished state you will not be able to send messages properly from your page. Please ensure it has been published prior to testing messaging.
You can send messages to your customers via Facebook Messenger using their mobile phone number as long as you have their consent to be contacted via the number and your page has the Customer Matching permission enabled.
To enable Customer Matching for a Facebook page you do the following:
- Log in to Facebook as a an administrator for your Facebook page
- Open the pages Settings (shown below highlighted in green)
- Open the Messaging settings from the left hand menu
- Scroll to the bottom of the settings until you find the Customer Matching section (shown below) and then follow the instructions to enable it for you page
Facebook Page administrator required
In order to setup Facebook as a channel for your API Space you will need to be able to login as a administrator for your chosen Facebook page
Now you have finished setting up your Facebook page and activating Messenger, you need to configure the Facebook channel to the portal prior to using it. To do this follow the simple instructions below:
- Open your API Space in the portal and select the Channels page from the menu on the left, and find the Messenger section (highlighted in green below)
- To configure your Facebook Messenger channel click on the Edit button in the Messenger section
- Click the Confirm button and ensure you have a login to Facebook with administrator rights to your chosen Facebook page
- (If not logged into Facebook) Login as a page administrator for your chosen Facebook page
- Select the Facebook page from the Choose one drop down that you want to use
- Tick the Use Phone Number option if you have enabled Customer Matching on your Facebook page
- Click Save to complete the setup
Your Facebook administrators password changes
Please be aware that the token we generate whilst linking your Facebook page to us will be revoked when you next change the password for the Facebook administrator that was used to link the page, therefore please ensure you repeat the page linking after any password updates.
The Facebook user must remain an administrator
It is crucial that the Facebook user used to setup the page link to us remains a Facebook administrator to your page for the system to work. If the user will lose administrator permissions to your page, it is essential that you repeat the page linking process described above with a new page administrator to avoid a loss of service on the this channel.
Now that you have setup your Facebook page and configured the channel in the portal you are ready to send messages.
Updated 8 months ago